This is to notify members of the bar and the public that the Commission is reviewing the qualifications of the following Judges of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia:
- Judge Herbert B. Dixon, Jr. has requested a recommendation for reappointment to an additional term as a Senior Judge, upon the expiration of his current term on November 1, 2023.
- Judge John M. Campbell retired on May 19, 2023, and has requested a recommendation for an initial appointment as a Senior Judge.
- Judge Hiram Puig-Lugo retired on July 28, 2023, and has requested a recommendation for an initial appointment as a Senior Judge.
The Commission invites members of the Bar, litigants, former jurors, interested organizations, and members of the public to submit comments or any other information bearing on the performance and qualifications of Judge Campbell, Judge Puig-Lugo, and Judge Dixon to continue their respective judicial service.
The cooperation of the community at an early stage will greatly aid the Commission in fulfilling its responsibilities. The identity of any person submitting materials will be kept confidential unless expressly authorized by the person submitting the information.
Comments may be submitted to the Commission:
- In writing (a) by email to [email protected]; or (b) mailed to the Commission’s office at: District of Columbia Commission of Judicial Disabilities and Tenure, 515 Fifth Street, NW, Room 246, Washington, DC, 20001.
- By online survey through the following Evaluation Survey link
You also may submit information and confidential comments to the Commission’s Special Counsel Amy Conway-Hatcher, Esq. at [email protected], or to any individual member of the Commission either directly or through the Commission’s email.
The members of the Commission are:
Hon. Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, Chairperson
Hon. Diane M. Brenneman, Ret., Vice Chairperson
William P. Lightfoot, Esq.
David P. Milzman, M.D.
Amy L. Bess, Esq.
All comments concerning the performance and qualifications of Judges Dixon, Campbell, and Puig-Lugo are due no later than Thursday, August 31, 2023.
The District of Columbia Retired Judge Service Act P.L. 98-598, 98 Stat. 3142, as amended by the District of Columbia Judicial Efficiency and Improvement Act, P.L. 99-573, 100 Stat. 3233, §13(1) provides in part as follows:
"…A retired judge willing to perform judicial duties may request a recommendation as a senior judge from the Commission. Such judge shall submit to the Commission such information as the Commission considers necessary to a recommendation under this subsection.
(2) The Commission shall submit a written report of its recommendations and findings to the appropriate chief judge of the judge requesting appointment within 180 days of the date of the request for recommendation. The Commission, under such criteria as it considers appropriate, shall make a favorable or unfavorable recommendation to the appropriate chief judge regarding an appointment as senior judge. The recommendation of the Commission shall be final.
(3) The appropriate chief judge shall notify the Commission and the judge requesting appointment of such chief judge’s decision regarding appointment within 30 days after receipt of the Commission’s recommendation and findings. The decision of such chief judge regarding such appointment shall be final."